- Arahne has a problem
- Arahne keeps AAA rating in 2014
- How does Annette Duchesne Robitaille use ArahWeave?
- Updated ArahWeave User's Manual
- ArahWeave 7.0d is now available
- Arahne supports open source
- Arahne software on Mac OS X
- 3D for the 3D challenged
- Arahne partners with Pattern Design
- TC-2 jacquard and Arahne in Bratislava
- Arahne in Textiles Zentrum Haslach - Austria
- Mac version coming soon...
- Arahne awarded
- Replacing floppy in Stäubli JC5 with USB emulator
- Fast Pattern woven in Sordevolo
- Goodbye Ottavio Missoni, thank you for all the patterns
- DEMO software for Windows
- Say goodbye to floppies
- ArahPaint for Windows
- Quick Start Manuals
- Arahne at the Rajamangala University
- Automatic label on every fabric roll
- New agent in USA
- Satin Textiles Co.
has chosen Arahne
- Shiny new feature
- 20th Anniversary
- Lesson about optical illusions
- Presentation brochure
- ArahWeave shortcuts
- Patterns for download
- Find the closest color in different color libraries
- Support for Picanol machinery
- Fast Pattern
- Trend forecasting
- All news
Arahne has a problem
- Created: 10 July 2014
She is a people pleaser. When someone asks her a favor, she is eager to help. She feels insecure, unappreciated, and by doing stuff for others, she builds her self-esteem. But people ask her different things, sometimes contradictory ones. So she has developed a split personality, showing different face to different people. Some accuse her of being manipulative and dishonest, but all she wants is to be liked by everyone.
What has this psycho-babble have to do with software? More than you might think. Customers ask as for new functions all the time. Whenever possible, we try to add them. Hey, it is just another button. Problem is, that by making one customer happy, we might alienate hundreds of others. One customer wanted us to replace weft yarn letters a, b, c, d, e, f, g… with Roman numbers I. II. III. IV, V. VI. VII. ... The person who never worked in another factory, told us that everyone works like that. Oh well... We ended up adding it as an option in HTML printout. Over the course of 20 years of development, we have accumulated a fair amount of features needed by only a handful of customers. But those customers who need them, can't live without them. This is called feature creep in software engineering, and it is a sign of bad design.
Of course, everyone likes to play the Steve Jobs card: keep the essential, and cut off the rest. The concept is well illustrated in the famous cartoon by Eric Burke, which compares Apple, Google and our product.
By dumbing down the product, you make it appealing to the general public. But weaving CAD is not for everyone, we don't target average Joe. If you are not prepared to learn the meaning of warp, weft and yarn count, you can't design fabrics. Our customers are competent woven designers. Still, this is no excuse to flood their visual system with fifty buttons on every window. We want to make the program simple for beginners, with all the basic functions without much distraction. And also offer all the advanced functions for customers, who can handle them. Our solution is similar to split personality – ArahWeave 7.0p will show different user interface to different users, depending on program mode.
Program Mode menu offers you the choice between Simplified, Normal, Expert and Server mode.
- Simplified mode is for beginners, it is the default mode in demo version of the program. It will hide most of the complex, hard to understand features, and keep the essential. For example, beginner probably won't make fabric with dual weft insertion, two warp beams, and does not care about the fabric price calculation. A weaving course in school should use simplified mode.
- Normal mode is the default for ArahWeave Personal Edition or Pro versions. It has all the functions, to which you have been accustomed.
- Expert mode offers some exotic, potentially dangerous functions, should be used for those, who know what they are doing. One such function in this mode allows users to convert jacquard cards into fabric files by using loom layout. Or converting all the weaves from BMP, TIFF, GIF... to Arahne weave file format.
- In Server mode, program's GUI functions are blocked, and its functionality is triggered by XML files, created by the ERP system.
User is free to switch the mode at any time, so we are not taking anything away from the users.
In an ideal setup, we should allow users to decide the fate of each of over 1000 buttons and menus. Do you want to see it in your daily work, or you prefer to have it hidden. The only problem is, how do you decide, if you don't know precisely what does it do? Who has the patience to go through whole interface and decide the visibility of each button?
We started with an unusual comparison, so let's end in that way as well. A European visitor to USA is sometimes puzzled by the flood of choices at restaurants, for example at SUBWAY®: What king of bread, what shape of bread, which pieces of salad, vegetables, meat, cheese, which toppings... One would prefer a simple “panino”, your best bread with a slice of mozzarella and tomato, give it a fancy name like “Capri”, and that's it. Someone with good taste makes all the choices for you, and offers you a small choice of well rounded products. This is what we have tried to accomplish with program modes in ArahWeave. If there are functions you would like us to hide or show in particular mode, tell us about it. We are eager to please .
Arahne keeps AAA rating in 2014
- Created: 30 June 2014
We are pleased to announce that Arahne was once again awarded the AAA Creditworthiness rating byBisnode, a Swedish credit rating company. This is the third consecutive year.
AAA rating is based on the balance sheet of the last three business years and forecasts the safety of operations in the future.
Only 1,2 % of Slovenian companies got the AAA Creditworthiness rating in 2014.
Arahne is a stable and profitable company with 22 years of experience. Our results guarantee, that we will be a reliable partner also in the future.
How does Annette Duchesne Robitaille use ArahWeave?
- Created: 09 June 2014
Besides industrial customers, Arahne also welcomes handweavers, especially the ones with electronic jacquard.
Annette Duchesne Robitaille from Canada is using Arahne software for several years in combination with AVL electronic jacquard.
This is her web site: http://www.alombreduvent.ca
She started on Linux, but now she uses the Mac OS X version.
Annette finds creative ways to design and weave new fabrics.
If you want to learn more about her work and thought process, please check the following articles:
From Folk Art to Jacquard Tapestry and Ikat Jacquard Style.
Updated ArahWeave User's Manual
- Created: 02 April 2014
We have recently updated ArahWeave User Manual. You can download it from here. There are many updated and corrected entries and replaced screenshots. Among the newly described features, we would like to highlight the following:
- Setting the starting point of fabric printout.
- Auto generating fabric filename, printout title.
- New loom network editor.
ArahWeave 7.0d is now available
- Created: 18 March 2014
You can download the latest demo from here, while users with support contract will get it by e-mail.
The major new feature is support for UTF8 text encoding in all the programs. This allows us to enter any character from € to布 or สิ่งทอ, both in text fields as in file names.Previously, we could not display all the characters in all parts of the program, so Chinese users had to view HTML fabric technical calculations in English. Previous version of the program was already translated to 14 languages, but it did not allow use of national characters. It was only showing the translated text labels.
New version brings hundreds of improvements and bug fixes.
- You can use drag and drop file to directory in fabric, weave or image browser.
- ArahPaint5 supports standard cut&paste from the operating system, so you can quickly copy from the web or paste into e-mail or your documents.
- In printing fabric simulation, you can specify first warp and weave in numeric way.
- ArahWeave can now both read and write to USB memory keys formatted for floppy emulator.
- 3D fabric view on object (shirt, cushion, bow-tie, sofa, curtain) can now be called directly from ArahWeave.
- You can change default image file format from PNG to TIFF, if you like.
- Reading of Staubli JC4 cards allows manual choice of 1344, 1536 or 3071 hooks mapping.
- Most functions available by middle mouse button now also work with Shift + left mouse button, to make them easily available to our Mac OS X users.
- On Mac OS X version, shortcuts for Cut & Paste are not Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V, but ⌘+X, ⌘+V.
- Improved terry support in Dornier AMV, Dornier DoWeave and Smit Textil G6300 dobby formats.
- Reading/writing of Nissan and Somet .ARM dobby formats.
- Reading of Takemura .CGS format.
- Loom layout can be saved in the fabric, for users who use complex loom layouts, and single fabric can only be produced on one loom.
- Program can now calculate optimal number of CPU cores for faster simulation.
- In zoom out, program can display total number of threads and actual fabric size in cm or inches on the ruler.
- All programs are smaller, use less memory, and create smaller files.